Greenville’s Autumn EventsJune 25, 2014
Should I Winterize My Pool?November 12, 2014
The colors of the leaves are changing and it’s time for the pumpkin carving, trick-or-treating, and apple picking to begin. Getting your home ready for the cold months that are quickly approaching should also be a part of your autumn traditions. Five Star recommends you check out these simple (but essential) home maintenance items for fall to keep your house in shape and your family warm this winter.
Working Through the Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
- Have a qualified HVAC professional inspect your furnace and heating equipment.
- Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems.
- Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts.
- Seal air leaks in the attic, basement and crawlspace, as well as around windows and doors.
- Make sure attic is insulated properly.
- Check smoke detectors and replace batteries if necessary.
- Inspect your roof for damaged or curled shingles, corroded flashing, or leaky vents.
Improving Air Quality and Reducing Potential Health Risks
- Check fireplaces for soot or creosote buildup.
- Help keep allergy-causing pollutants out by keeping your house clean.
- Clean humidifier plates or pads to ensure efficient operation.
- Clean or replace dirty furnace filters.
- Clean and vacuum vents, baseboard heaters and ducts.
- Install efficient lighting that runs cooler.
- Take short showers instead of baths.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Consider air drying both dishes and clothes.
This home maintenance checklist can help keep your home warm and cozy during the cooler months. Five Star is your partner in keeping your dream home in great shape so you can create many years’ worth of precious memories in it.